Tufts’ Purchasing Department is authorized to act on behalf of the university in all procurement matters.
Those individuals, who are authorized holders of a Tufts University Procurement Card, are registered to use one of the university’s on-line ordering systems, hold such specifically defined job responsibilities in Operations, or are otherwise authorized by the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer to do so, may place orders for the university.
All other university employees are prohibited from committing university funds or acting as its agent in procurement matters.
EACH DEAN, THE VICE PROVOST AND EACH VICE PRESIDENT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO EXECUTE CONTRACTS AND AGREEMENTS WITHIN HIS/HER SPECIFIC AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY AS FOLLOWS:
- Deans – Academic affiliation agreements and faculty employment agreements that do not otherwise require Board of Trustee approval
- Vice President for Finance – Contracts or agreements to purchase goods or services (except consulting services as defined in Section IV)
- Vice President for Operations – Construction and renovation agreements, real estate acquisition agreements and space leases
- Vice President for Human Resources – Offers of employment and termination agreements for staff
- Vice President for University Relations – Legal settlements
- Vice Provost – Intellectual property agreements, Licenses, Transfer Agreements and the receipt of grants and contracts
- Vice President for Advancement – Receipt of Gifts
- Vice President for Information Technology – Purchase and license agreements for information technology systems and applications
IF CONTRACTING FOR CONSULTANT & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE POLICIES WITH REGARD TO CONTRACT ENGAGEMENT:
- FOR CONSULTANT & PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ENGAGEMENTS UNDER $5,000 and when a Tufts Standard Contract is used (without changes), a department may execute the contract on behalf of the university, assuming the signer has signature authority on the cost center being charged.
- CONSULTANT CONTRACTS BETWEEN $5,000 and $250,000 may be signed by the school Dean, EAD, Vice Provost or Vice President within their respective areas of responsibility on behalf of the university.
- CONSULTANT CONTRACTS THAT EXCEED $250,000 must be reviewed and executed by the Executive Vice President.
- CONTRACTS OTHER THAN CONSULTANT & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AND ARE GREATER THAN $5,000 must be forwarded to the Purchasing Office for review and execution. The Purchasing Office works with the Office of University Counsel when contracts require the counsel’s expertise.
ALL requisitions that total $5,000 or more and charge a grant must have a signature from Sponsored Programs Accounting. ALL non-grant requisitions that total $5,000 or more must have the signature of the schools Budget Center Representative.